Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Who are your Favorite Artists?

My favorite living artists are:

Cy Twombly
Joan Bohn
John Palmer

Is it a coincidence all three are Houston artists? The legendary Cy is no longer with us, but I did get a chance to visit his works at the Menil Museum a while back. I met John at a book signing, he seems like a really great guy, very down to earth! I was surprised to find out we went to the same high school. Joan's work really draws me in...maybe I will meet her one day too. I saw one of her paintings in person some time ago....it was on 3 wooden panels and must have been 20 ft tall!

What I like about their work, and which I strive to put into my own paintings is the "freedom" of paint application. There is no judgement. They aren't thinking "oh, I don't like that mark" or "I shouldn't have done that". They just take whatever comes and take joy at all the discoveries and accidents on the canvas.

I highly recommend visiting art galleries to see what a painting "feels" like in person, especially if you are an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment